By Dreck Spurlock Wilson
An excellent source. brief bios of early Afro-American architects with images in their signature constructions.
Read or Download African American Architects: A Biographical Dictionary, 1865-1945 PDF
Best arts & literature books
Are you the world's largest KatyCat? are you aware every thing there's to grasp concerning the world's best-loved singer? Then this is often the publication for you! during this easy-to-digest e-book are a hundred and one evidence approximately your favorite celebrity – are you aware them all? try out your self and your mates with those handily-packaged proof simply organised into different types for max leisure.
For twenty-six years, the FBI dedicated numerous hours of employees time and hundreds of thousands of U. S. taxpayer money to the surveillance of an American citizen named Bernard Gordon. Given the lavish use of assets, one may imagine this guy used to be a risk to nationwide defense or even a kingpin of prepared crime - now not a Hollywood screenwriter whose such a lot subversive act used to be becoming a member of the Communist get together in the course of the Forties after we have been allied with the USSR in a conflict opposed to Germany.
- Making the News, Taking the News: From NBC to the Ford White House
- Ringling: The Florida Years, 1911-1936
- Beethoven: The Composer as Hero
- But Enough About Me
- John Ford, Revised and Enlarged edition
- Fellowship, The: The Untold Story of Frank Lloyd Wright and the Taliesin Fellowship
Additional resources for African American Architects: A Biographical Dictionary, 1865-1945
In Cyclopedia of the Colored Race. , 1919. MARY ANN NEELY, MONTGOMERY, ALABAMA A biographical dictionary 1865-1945 11 Archibald Alphonse Alexander (1888–1958) Harmon Foundation “Engineering is a tough field at best and it may be twice as tough for a Negro,” a professor told Archie Alexander, a student at the State University of Iowa in Iowa City, in 1909. ”2 Ebony Magazine echoed these sentiments in two 1949 articles profiling accomplished and wealthy African American businessmen, including Alexander.
Philadelphia PA 1933 Fifth Baptist Church 18th & Spring Garden Sts. Philadelphia PA 1924 First Church of Christ, Science 138 Lakeview Ave. West Palm Beach FL 1927 Free Library 1901 Vine St. Philadelphia PA 1917 Grace, Joseph P. “Tullaroan” North Service Rd. Manhasset NY 1920 Now Deepdale Golf Clubhouse Grace Presbyterian Church 444 Old York Rd. Jenkintown PA 1909 Hahneman Medical College Out-Patient’s Bldg. 15th north of Race St. Philadelphia PA 1947 Cambridge MA 1930 Harvard University Widener Library Harvard Yard Cambridge near Mass.
5. Henderson, p. 72. 6. Interview with Patricia Bankhead (daughter of Lester Bankhead), Los Angeles, California, 18 August 2002. 7. Patricia Bankhead, interview. 8. Bankhead,” 15 February 1997, frontispiece. WENDEL ECKFORD, POMONA, CALIFORNIA New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church, Elvenia Bankhead BUILDING LIST Name Address City State Year Comments Apts 4400 Washington Blvd. B. San Pedro St. Central Ave. Los Angeles CA New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church 430 Santa Fe Ave. Jefferson Blvd. Los Angeles CA Los Angeles CA United Revelation Church of God 655 E.