By W. Martin Bloomer
A significant other to old Education offers a sequence of essays from top experts within the box that symbolize the main updated scholarship in terms of the increase and unfold of academic practices and theories within the historic Greek and Roman worlds.
- Reflects the most recent learn findings and provides new ancient syntheses of the increase, unfold, and reasons of old schooling in historic Greece and Rome
- Offers complete insurance of the most classes, crises, and advancements of old schooling in addition to old sketches of assorted academic equipment and the diffusion of schooling through the historic world
- Covers either liberal and intolerant (non-elite) schooling in the course of antiquity
- Addresses the cloth perform and fabric realities of schooling, and the first thinkers in the course of antiquity via to overdue antiquity
Read Online or Download A Companion to Ancient Education PDF
Similar history & theory books
This quantity starts off to discover the lifestyles and works of Auguste Comte in the course of his so-called moment profession, the debatable interval that begun in 1842 and lasted until eventually his dying. This quantity covers the years from 1842 to 1852, whilst Comte remodeled his confident philosophy right into a political and spiritual move.
In Making education appropriate for the worldwide Age, R. D. Nordgren, Ph. D. contends that America's faculties are failing to organize our youngsters for the worldwide financial system in addition to failing to increase electorate keen and in a position to maintaining the kind of democracy essential to coexist within the international Village.
Within the uprisings of the Arab international, Alain Badiou discerns echoes of the eu revolutions of 1848. In either instances, the item used to be to overthrow despotic regimes maintained by way of the nice powers—regimes designed to impose the need of economic oligarchies. either occasions happened after what used to be mostly regarded as the top of a progressive epoch: in 1815, the ultimate defeat of Napoleon; and in 1989, the autumn of the Soviet Union.
- The Transformation of Global Higher Education, 1945-2015
- Kritische Theorie des Staates: Staat und Recht bei Franz L. Neumann
- The Idea Brokers: Think Tanks And The Rise Of The New Policy Elite
- Leo Strauss and the Recovery of Medieval Political Philosophy
- Cicero’s Skepticism and His Recovery of Political Philosophy
- The Challenge of Scholarship: Rethinking Learning, Teaching and Research (Key Issues in Higher Education)
Extra info for A Companion to Ancient Education
The adhvaryu priests specialized in the manual arts of sacrifice, as selected from the RigVeda to form the Yahurveda. In a somewhat separate tradition, another class of priests special ized in magic spells, healing, and sorcery (sakha) through the study and practice of the AtherVeda, whose texts are not derived from the RigVeda, but from other sources. All these priesthoods were restricted to Brahmans, and in each case the object of study was Origins and Relations to the Near East 21 a combination of the Vedic hymns themselves, together with the voluminous prose commentaries (Brahmanas) that had grown up around them.
But for the earlier periods, from the Bronze Age to the mid‐fifth century, the picture is very different. Any attempt to investigate the various training systems through which the Greeks of the Bronze and early Iron Age prepared their children for adult life is much more frustrating and speculative, though in some respects the topic may be no less important for our understanding of classical culture and of Western traditions of pedagogy and social policy. ” The chronological span to be covered is huge (ca.
The large numbers of equally well‐dressed participants depicted in the various Knossan and Theran frescoes suggest that the Minoans included a relatively large segment of the community in their public performances (Marinatos 1987; Davis 1987). On the mainland, there is less evidence of this emphasis on ceremonial display, and the architecture of the palaces provides less opportunity for it. Nonetheless there, too, the Linear B documents record the scribes’ supervision of extensive sacrificial activity and feasting (Chadwick 1976: 69–77; Palaima 1995, 2011).